Happy Easter from Texts From Superheroes
I don’t even remember where I found this gif, but it’s fucking hilarious
“The hardest part was telling my mother. I started by leaving my bottles of medicine around in the hopes she would ask me. And she did. But every time I lied about it. I guess I freaked out. I was not ready to tell her. This went on for 6 months and she asked me about it four or five times. Finally I knew I had to just say it.
In memory of the Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who died today at 87, a look back at Jon Lee Anderson’s 1999 Profile of the writer: http://nyr.kr/QrWlKv
Latin American author Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who won the Nobel Prize in literature in 1982, died Thursday. He was 87. Garcia Marquez, the master of a style known as magic realism, was and remains Latin America’s best-known writer.
His novels were filled with miraculous and enchanting events and characters; love and madness; wars, politics, dreams and death. And everything he had written, Garcia Marquez once said, he knew or heard before he was 8 years old.
Chilean novelist Ariel Dorfman says Marquez’s Nobel Prize acceptance speech was one of the author’s most important messages to the world.
"Garcia Marquez is speaking about all the people who are marginal to history, who have not had a voice," Dorfman says. "He gives a voice to all those who died. He gives a voice to all those who are not born yet. He gives a voice to Latin America."
Read our full appreciation here.
Image via See Colombia
The Great Pyramids of Giza, as you’ve never seen them before — at the edge of a sprawling metropolis and the vast desert.
A ROGUES GALLERY
of UNTREATABLE ANTIBIOTIC-RESISTANT ORGANISMS
Courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC]
Microorganisms with names in bold are shown in illustrations above, in the order listed.
Microorganisms with a Threat Level of Urgent
- Clostridium difficile
- Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae
- Drug-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae
Microorganisms with a Threat Level of Serious
- Multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter
- Drug-resistant Campylobacter
- Fluconazole-resistant Candida (a fungus)
- Extended spectrum β-lactamase producing Enterobacteriaceae (ESBLs)
- Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus (VRE)
- Multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- Drug-resistant non-typhoidal Salmonella
- Drug-resistant SalmonellaTyphi
- Drug-resistant Shigella
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
- Drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis
Microorganisms with a Threat Level of Concerning
- Vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (VRSA)
- Erythromycin-resistant Group A Streptococcus
- Clindamycin-resistant Group B Streptococcus
So, kids, the next time someone says to you, “You might as well take an antibiotic, it can’t hurt,” just say no!